Lucas Whitaker Response #1

After reading chapter 1 of Lucas by Cynthia DeFelice, how would you describe Lucas’s feelings?  Please explain and give specific support from the text.

15 comments ↓

• #   jchitty on 04.12.11 at 2:48 pm     

In the novel Tuck Everalasting by Natalie Babbit, Winnie has changed in maturity since the beginning of the book from a sheltered child who feels alone and trapped in a perfectly planned world without the freedom to make any decisions for herself to feeling freedom and confidence because she has new friends and can make choices for herself. When Winnie is first introduced in the book, she is stuck in her yard and is thinking of running away because her parents are always watching over her and not allowing her to venture out. Her world is perfect including the house and yard. In the book on page 50 it states, “Winnie had grown up with order. The cottage where she lived was always squeaking clean, mopped and swept, and scoured into submission.” While in her yard, she notices a toad who actually has more freedom than she does. Once Winnie runs away and meets Jesse and the rest of the Tucks, she enters a world that is more relaxed and unconcerned about being “perfect”. The Tucks become friends who don’t need to be impressed. They are relaxed and comfortable in their run down house. They also teach her the value of making choices for herself, not just living with the choices others have made for her. An example is when she is in the boat with Tuck and he explains the cycle of life but leaves her with the final choice about drinking the water and living forever or not. As a result of her new friendships, Winnie finds a freedom to be herself and make her own choices. In conclusion, Winnie has changed from being a protected, dependent child to one who is free and independent.

• #   jchitty on 04.12.11 at 10:03 pm     

After reading chapter 1 of Lucas Whitaker by Cynthia DeFelice, I would describe Lucas’s feelings as depressed and lonely. I thought this described Lucas because all of the people that he loved had died and all of his neighbors had moved away to a better place. The quote that I found that would describe Lucas is on page 6’ it says, “There were no friends or family to join him in mourning. The closest neighbors, the Hapgoods, had sold their farm and gone west, where the land was supposed to be cheap and plentiful. Lucas hadn’t carried word to the Roods, or any others. Their farms were far away. They had their own work and their own problems. Lucas was alone.” I choose this quote because it shows how lonely he was and how Depressed he was.
    Kelsey M R8

• #   jchitty on 04.13.11 at 11:09 pm     

After reading chapter 1 of The Apprenticeship of Lucas Whitaker by Cynthia DeFelice, I could see that Lucas felt lonely inside and afraid. His lonely behavior stood out to me on page six when the author stated, “There were no friends or family to join him in the mourning.” This same paragraph also mentioned that his close neighbors the Hapgoods, had sold their farm to move west. Lucas was very lonely at this point because his uncle Asa, his sister Lizy, his mother, and now his father have all passed away because of the terrible effects of consumption. (As mentioned on pages four and five) The second emotion that Lucas Whitaker was feeling was afraid. He had felt this way ever since his uncle and his sister passed away because of the same disease. As stated on page 4, “Afraid to think about, much less speak about, the mysterious way in which the sickness could sweep through a household, taking one family member after another.” This sentence clearly showed he was terrified of this disease as was his father, who later passed away of the disease. In conclusion, because of the sad deaths throughout his household, Lucas Whitaker felt lonely and afraid in chapter 1. – Jenna D.

• #   jchitty on 04.16.11 at 5:41 pm     

After reading chapter 1 of The Apprenticeship of Lucas Whitaker by Cynthia DeFelice I think that Lucas’ feelings are lonely because he has no one in his family to take care of him and no one to love him. It said on page 6 “there were no friends or family to join him in mourning… Lucas was alone.” Also, I think he is very frightened because he is alone and he is only a kid and he doesn’t have the teachings to get a job or to build a home or to cook. On page 5 it said the only things he can do “filling a pipe with dried cow dung and begging his mother to drink it.” In conclusion, these are the feelings that Lucas had in chapter 1 of The Apprenticeship of Lucas Whitaker
    -Alexx N. R8

• #   Austin Castillo on 04.21.11 at 7:07 pm     

After reading chapter 1 of Lucas by Cynthia DeFelice, I would describe Lucas’s feelings as depressed and lonely. I would describe him like that because everybody around him that he knew and loved were all dead. On page 6, it said “There were no friends or family to join him in the mourning.” It also said on page 6, last sentence, “Lucas was alone” I chose these quotes because it tells you how Lucas was alone and depressed and nobody there to care and love him. In conclusion, I would feel very bad for Lucas and I wish something good happens farther into the book. –Austin C, R8

• #   jchitty on 04.22.11 at 7:12 pm     

In the first chapter of Lucas by Cynthia DeFelice, Lucas was feeling sadness from the loss of his family and also frightened by the disease that took them. You can see that throughout the deaths of his sister, mother and father, he was not able to express his sadness or his fear. An example of this is in the following sentence from page 4, “He’d learned to push his sorrow deep inside somewhere in order to get on with the hard work that was always waiting to be done on the farm.” You also see how he hides his sadness on page 5, “Summoning all the strength of his will, he pushed the feeling down and down… until he’d felt the way he did now, his insides as numb and cold as the rough red hands that grasped the shovel.” His feeling of being afraid toward the disease that whipped out his whole family is seen on page 4, “When they’d buried Lizy, Lucas and his father had worked together in stunned silence, afraid to think about, much less speak about, the mysterious way in which the sickness could swipe through a household, taking one family member after another.” It is scary to think that a disease whipping out a family so long ago can still occur today in other countries. This fear and sadness that Lucas feels is just the beginning of the life without his family.
    -Marissa C. R9

• #   jchitty on 04.24.11 at 10:49 am     

Based on the Novel Lucas Whitaker by Cynthia Defelice I would describe Lucas’s feelings as Determined and Lonely. Lucas is determined because no matter what happens he stays strong, and he tries to help his mother get better. The book states “Summoning all the strength of his will, he pushed the feeling down and down….” And what he uses to get other that sad feeling is work “That was always waiting for him on the farm”. It also states “Lucas gave up trying to keep the farm going. He spent his days at his mother’s bedside watching her waste away.” It also says “Desperately he tried every remedy he knew, filling a pipe with dried cow dung and begging his mother to smoke it”. It’s clear to me that Lucas never gives up and that am what makes him determined.
    I think Lucas is lonely because even though he tries so hard to keep his family members alive they keep dying on him. Even in the fourth and fifth paragraph It Is describing all the family members who died. And of page 6 it clearly states “Lucas was alone” In summary Lucas is very lonely.

Nicolas G

• #   jchitty on 04.24.11 at 8:59 pm     

After reading the first chapter of Lucas Whitaker by Cynthia Defelice, I would describe Lucas’s feelings as abandoned and fearful. The reason I think Lucas is abandoned is because he has lost all of his family to this horrible disease. He is all alone in the world now, with no one to comfort him or care for him. As it says on page six, “There were no friends or family to join him in mourning. The closest neighbors, the Hapgoods, had sold their farm and gone west, where land was supposed to be cheap and plentiful.” This quote basically supported the fact that Lucas was alone in his life. Lucas is probably feeling fearful because of this terrible disease that has washed away his family until the bitter end. There’s no telling for Lucas if this disease might hit him as well, with no one there to take care of him. Plus, he has just seen his entire family die. I read the quote: “He shuddered as he remember the way the large powerful man who had been his father had turned slowly into a thin, pale stranger, too weak to stand,” on page four. This quote showed me how he had watched his family die. The fear and stress that must have caused him must have been significant. If I were Lucas Whitaker, I would have felt the same exact way.

• #   jchitty on 04.24.11 at 9:02 pm     

-Sara L. R9

• #   jchitty on 04.25.11 at 3:13 am     

After reading the first chapter of Lucas Whitaker, I think Lucas is very depressed and lonely. I think Lucas is depressed and sad because his whole family died and he lives no where close to anyone so hes lonley and has no friends. On page 6 it states ” There were no friends or family to join him in mourning.” That quote shows that hes very, very depressed and has no one to tell what hes going through. I also think Lucas is lonely because all of his close friends and his whole family died and he witnessed it also his neighbors moved and since he lives on a farm he doesnt live close to anyone. On page 6 it says “Lucas hadn’t carried word to the Roods, or to any others. Their farms were far away. They had their own work and their own problems. Lucas was alone.” That quote shows that Lucas is very lonely and has no one to talk to.

-Adam A. R9

• #   jchitty on 04.25.11 at 10:03 am     

After reading chapter one of Lucas Whitaker by Cynthia DeFelice, I think that Lucas is feeling lonely and depressed. The reason why I think he is feeling lonely is because everyone in his family has died from a dreaded disease and no one knows how to stop it. Also I think Lucas is feeling depressed and so is sad, right now he has no one for him or to be around him that is friend or family and there will never be anyone there for him. One example from the text that shows that feeling is “There were no close friends or family to join him in his mourning,” this shows that Lucas was alone and his family was gone so were friends so he must have had a hard life and a hard time living.
    - jess G. R8

• #   jchitty on 04.25.11 at 6:38 pm     

After reading chapter one of The Apprenticeship of Lucas Whitaker by Cynthia DeFelice, I would describe Lucas’s feelings as depressed, lonely, and confused. You can clearly tell that Lucas is depressed on page four, when the author states; “He’d learned to push his sorrow deep inside somewhere,” so Lucas could “get on with the hard work that was always waiting to be done on the farm.” This quote tells the reader that Lucas is clearly depressed, but he has bottled up all of his sorrow inside so he can get along with his life. In some way, Lucas is pretending that everything is alright to him when really, he is very saddened about the losses of his family. Secondly, it is apparent that Lucas is feeling lonely after reading that “There were no friends or family to join him in the mourning.” This paragraph on page six also states how his neighbors (the Hapgoods) had moved away, and that his other neighbors live too far away to bring the news of his mother’s death to. Basically the quote stated above illustrates that Lucas is now totally alone, with no more family to turn to because the disease of consumption swept through and killed his whole family except for Lucas. Lastly, an emotion Lucas is also feeling is confusion. The evidence that Lucas is feeling confused is on page six when the author mentions that “No matter how hard he tried,” Lucas just “couldn’t understand why God would want such things to happen.” By this the author means that Lucas couldn’t understand why God would want all of his family to die, leaving him alone. In summary, because of the horrible deaths that have happened to Lucas’s family, he feels depressed, lonely, and confused in chapter one.
    Alycia F R8

• #   jchitty on 04.25.11 at 7:03 pm     

After reading chapter one of Lucas Whitaker his feelings are he is lonely and sad because his family is dead his friends have left and has to live by himself with no one to talk to. You can tell that he is upset on page 4 when he says” He’d learned how to push the sorrow in it tells the reader how much pain he is feeling. Patrick

• #   nathan c on 04.27.11 at 12:21 pm     

After reading the first chapter Lucas Whitaker, I think Lucas feels like there is a big whole in his heart. Also thinks that it will never be the same he will always have sorrow. On page six it says “there were no friends or family to join him in mourning.” That means that he is extremely depressed. Lucas must be really lonely to no one he is closed to is alive anymore think about that and how sad and lonely u would be. And it doesn’t help that he lived on a farm and didn’t have anymore neighbors.

• #   jchitty on 05.30.11 at 4:03 pm     

I was very suprised by the ending because i really thought that Lucas and Doc would find a cure to the diease.
    -Marissa C r8